The most annoying moment when playing an online game is when you are going to give your ultimate action, but the connection was lagging. That suck!
If this ever happened to you, then you may want to start to make sure you have the best router for gaming installed at home.
Keep in minds that not all routers can serve you the best service when you deal with online-gaming.
The key here is to have a router which able to provide the consistency on speeds connection, and also the one which capable to maximize your Internet speed from your ISP so it can handle the heavy workloads that come with online gaming.
Many buying guides found online fall short of telling you exactly what the best router for playing games and that’s the solid reason why this guide is here.
8 Best Gaming Routers in 2018
Below is a table summarizing the top 8 recommended routers for gaming with their unique features.
|NETGEAR Nighthawk X10||7.1 Gbps||801.11ac/ad |
|ASUS ROG GT-AC5300||5.3 Gbps||802.11a/b/g/n/ac|
|Linksys AC5400||5.3 Gbps||802.11a/b/g/n/ac|
|TP-Link AC5400||5.3 Gbps||802.11a/b/g/n/ac|
|Linksys Max-Stream AC4000||4.0 Gbps||802.11a/b/g/n/ac|
|NETGEAR Nighthawk Pro Gaming||2.5 Gbps||802.11a/b/g/n/ac |
|ASUS AC3100||3.2 Gbps||802.11a/b/g/n/ac|
|NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200||3.2 Gbps||802.11a/c|
*) from the total wireless band that the router can provide
1. NETGEAR Nighthawk X10 – Gaming Router with Fastest WiFi Technology
If you are looking for a gaming router that comes with settings that are future-proof, then do not look any further than Netgear Nighthawk X10. This is a router that represents a huge step ahead of the rest for gaming routers.
There are so many great things packed within this behemoth of a router to make sure that as a gamer you get nothing but the best experience ever.
The performance is excellent whether you are using 2.4 GHz or 5.0 GHz band it will guarantee you give you a smooth and stable connection, so you can more concentrate on your gaming.
Before talking much about the this device, let’s delve into its design and feature plus more about how it works and what it has to offer.
- WiFi Speed: Total up to 7133 Mbps
- WiFi Technology: 802.11ac + 802.11ad (Dual Band)
- Processor Speeds: 1.7 Ghz Quad-Core
- Others: 6 Gigabit Ethernet ports (LAN) + 1 WAN, Two USB 3.0 ports, 20+ Devices, Plex Media Server, Amazon Drive Cloud Backup, High-Performace Active Antennas
Nighthawk X10 is a premium gaming router that comes with features that are future-oriented especially for heavy usage and especially for streaming and playing games.
Online games lovers, 4K geeks, and VR geeks will love this NETGEAR Nighthawk X10 as it performs in ways most other routers cannot.
It has Wi-Fi speed of 7.2 Gbps at 802.11ac and 802.11ad levels, with 1.7 GHz Quad-Core processor that will make sure you keep connected while you do a streaming game or when you use Twitch for example.
What I really like with this router is the fact that it supports 160Mhz Wi-Fi. This is an essential feature that any gamer should take advantage of to experience breakneck Internet speeds while in wireless mode.
This device also supports MU-MIMO which makes it easy to send packets of data to multiple devices simultaneously rather than one device at a time.
Nighthawk X10 is one of the few routers that already utilized 60GHz 802.11ad WiFi the fastest WiFi technology for today, which can take speeds to another level (approximately four times faster than recent famous 802.11ac)
And maybe some of you start thinking that not all devices this day support that WiFi standard, but with the trend of technology which evolving at an exponential pace, makes Nighthawk X10 able to give you future-proof guarantee if it will able to serve your gaming needs for several years in the future.
Still talking about the speeding feature, on the other hand, if you don’t want to use the wireless network to connect to your PS4 or XBOX instead want to use the Ethernet port, then you will find a unique feature on the two ethernet ports which you can aggregate them so you can maximize the speeds.
There is an option for VPN and also port forwarding as well which this is one thing that gamers need to open the ports to play an online game. And what I like we can input a range of numbers rather than enter the port number individually.
In addition if you have Amazon Alexa at your home, this is fully supported so you don’t need to worry about the compatibility.
Other than that, there are also other features that are worth noting such as its backup system which automatically backs up data to Amazon Drive, Plex Media which enables the user to share and manage photos, audio, files and videos which are saved on a USB flash drive.
When looking at the body you can find the cooling fan which nicely placed inside this device, and you can see it through the black grilled space on either side.
On the sides, there are four independently adjustable dual-band active antennas that you can move to the best position for your need. They are non-removable, and all of them emit blue light, but you can always switch this light off should you decide so.
On the left side of the body, you can find two ports for USB 3.0 in case you want to connect to your printer, external hardisk or when you want to use Plex media server.
The back side of this router has 6-gigabit Local Area Network ports, and the first two ports are mainly for link aggregation. It also comes with 10G SPF + Gigabit LAN port which is a feature generally seen in an enterprise-oriented type of router.
Just like other Wi-Fi routers from NetGear, it is effortless to install the Nighthawk X10. Start by connecting it to your PC over an internet connection. Once it connected the setup wizard can be accessed over www.routerlogin.net page.
You can also manage this router through Genie Mobile app or Netgear Genie. After you connected, on the homepage, you will find settings for internet and Wi-Fi.
You can also go to advanced settings where you will find a guest network, router and wireless information in a detailed manner. On the advanced settings page, you can adjust wireless and Internet settings or enable and disable WMM QoS. This will help you to isolate your private connection so other users cannot interfere you when you are playing game.
- 802.11ac Quad Stream Wave2 WiFi plus 60 GhZ 802.11ad WiFi-Up to 4600+1733+800 Mbps wireless speed.System Requirements Microsoft Windows 7, 8, 10, Vista, XP, 2000, Mac OS, UNIX, or Linux.Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0, Firefox 2.0, Safari 1.4, Google Chrome 11.0 browsers or higher
- Plex Media Server - Use Plex to serve all your media from your external USB or NAS drive connected to your Nighthawk X10 router.
- Powerful 1.7GHz Quad Core Processor - Fastest processor for home router for better 4K streaming, VR gaming, surfing, or anything you throw at it!
- Dynamic QoS - Prioritizes bandwidth by application and device for the best gaming and streaming experience. WiFi Range- Very large homes. MU-MIMO -Simultaneous streaming of data for multiple devices
- Additional DFS Channels- No sharing of WiFi with your neighbor with additional interference free channels in 5GHz
2. ASUS ROG GT-AC5300– Made Exclusively for Gamers
When you look at ASUS ROG GT-AC5300 for the very first time even before you use it, you will tell that this is a router that was made for gamers and on-line streaming enthusiasts.
The design is bold, and its eight antennas make it look like a spider. It was surely made to support gaming and online streaming.
ASUS ROG GT-AC5300 offers you the latest Wi-Fi technology through MU-MIMO and Triband wireless frequency (2x 5Ghz + 1x 2.4 GHz) bands giving you the extra room for multiple devices to connect without interfere each others.
- WiFi Speed: Total up to 5334 Mbps
- WiFiTechnology: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (Tri-band)
- Processor Speeds: 1.4 Ghz Dual-Core
- Others: MU-MIMO, Tri-band (dual 5 GHz, single 2.4 GHz), Game Boost, Built-in access to WTFast Gamers Private Network (GPN™), Game Intrusion Prevention System.
To make an exclusive networks for gamers at your home, Asus ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 provides 2 ports that specialize to support gaming and streaming tasks, which are fully optimized to support two gaming devices. With that said, all traffic that comes and out from these ports is given the top priority.
Also there is a Game Boost feature which you can instantly activate it with a single click on the ASUS Gaming Center dashboard. When this feature on, this router will analyze and prioritized the packets from your on-line games to guarantee you get stable connection when you hook your PS4, PS4 pro, XBOX, Wii, and Nitendo 3DS.
Not only that supports the standard MU-MIMO and QoS features, ASUS ROG GT-AC5300 also support built-in VPN connection powered by WTFast® which will minimize ping latency to game server.
And last to make sure you can just focus with your game this ASUS router support Game Intrusion Prevention System which will protect your gaming network from external attacks and threats.
When you open the box, you will see various parts which include the eight antennas. Once you put the antennas in their right position what results is a monster-spider looking network device in the name of ASUS AC5300.
The whole package alongside the antennas weighs about 4.14lbs which is why it is considered to be one of the heaviest home-use routers in the market today.
The only disadvantage about this network tool is the fact that its aerials may be prone to falling over when compared to others under the same category in terms of features and specifications. However, if you want the antennae to stand firm, you have to flip them in such a way that the body holds over the antennae making it appear a towering spider.
Asus AC5300 comes with 8 Gigabit Ethernet ports and two 3.0 USB ports which can be found on the rear side.
If you do not want to use the installation guidelines on the Internet, there is always a comprehensive manual that will take you through a step by step process and how to set up the router.
The router’s settings page is easy to understand, and you will be given all the information you’ll while configuring your router.
- Tri-band (dual 5 GHz, single 2.4 GHz) AC5300 wireless router with the latest 802.11ac 4x4 MU-MIMO technology for maximum throughput (5334 Mbps) and coverage (up to 5,000 sq. ft.)
- 1.8GHz 64bit Quad-Core processor maximizes data throughput from 8-ports and dual USB 3.0 for optimizing network traffic and connectivity speeds 3. VPN Fusion enables you to run a VPN and ordinary internet connection simultaneously, effectively maximizing your connection speed to gaming servers (available via firmware update)
- VPN Fusion enables you to run a VPN and ordinary internet connection simultaneously, effectively maximizing your connection speed to gaming servers (available via firmware update)
- Game IPS Powered by Trend Micro provides multi-stage protection for your gaming network from external attacks and threats, neutralizing them before they reach your network or devices
- ROG Game Dashboard gives you access to exclusive features like Game Boost, Game IPS, VPN Fusion, and route-optimized low ping time gaming servers using WTFast Gamers Private Network (GPN) - all to help you optimize your gaming network
3. Linksys AC5400– Good for Heavy Duty Games
Linksys rarely disappoints when it comes to releasing the top of the game routers. One of their most significant and fantastic release to the market is the AC5400 model that is suitable for heavy-duty gaming.
Despite being pricey, this is a router that was made with gamers in mind. The antenna ranges makes it best for a 4000 sqft house with many rooms. It is not for those individuals looking for a cheap one considering its outstanding performance and features.
Its husky housing comprises specs and features that are the sole reason why this Linksys AC5400 remains to be the favorite for many gamers out there.
- WiFi Speed: Total up to 5332 Mbps
- WiFi Technology: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (Tri-band)
- Processor Speeds: 1.4 Ghz Dual-Core
- Others: Seamless roaming, MU-MIMO, NextGen AC Wi-Fi capability, 4 by 4 AC for swift streaming and gaming experience, 8 Adjustable Antennas
Linksys AC5400 is packed with a 1.4Ghz dual-core processor supported by 802.11a/b/g/n/ac which is the 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz band that can work independently.
With the 2.4GHz frequency band, you can reach up to a maximum speed of 1,000Mbps meanwhile each of the 5GHz bands can reach up to 2,166Mbps.
This fantastic router also supports MU-MIMO streaming of data which able to transmit data simultaneously for the compatible device to use with Beamforming.
Also, there is a unique feature from Linksys when you are using Linksys Max-Stream range extender along with this router. It supports Seamless Roaming technology that can help you to connect to the strongest signal while you move while playing a game with your tabs or smartphone without losing the connection.
Its performance matches the price because it comes with MU-MIMO capabilities. Its advanced QoS capabilities are excellent as it will correctly split the bandwidth at your home depending on the location of devices that are connected.
If for instance let’s say that you and a friend are palying a game in a room, AC5400 will allocate more bandwidth on those antennas you are close. If you are in a house where almost everyone wants to connect to Wi-Fi by streaming online or downloading huge files, then you should consider using Linksys AC5400.
The first thing that was crossed in my mind when I looked at the design at the first time was a gigantic robotic black spider on my desk.
Linksys AC5400 comes with eight antennas that are high powered to make sure that your connection remains fast. It is one of the most massive routers in the market today.
It has a status panel that has LED bars that are 8 in number. These will flash every time you are doing a firmware upgrade or when it is booting. The led light will be stable and not blink when the device is running. On the back side of the body, you will find 8 Gigabit LAN port two USB ports. There is also power/reset button. On the right side, you will see Wi-Fi/ WPS button.
To manage the settings quickly, you merely go to linksyssmartwifi.com and follow the instructions. It is a process that should not take more than five minutes.
It is quick to install this router which comes with fantastic Wi-Fi speeds. The installation is simplified and made easy by Smart Wi-Fi app utility. Once you are on the app’s interface, you will find different tools that you can use to configure wireless and Internet settings.
Configuration is also very easy because you can do that via Smart Wi-Fi app on a mobile phone. When you run the app you will find settings and tools that you can use to tweak its performance. If you want to see all devices that are connected to the router you can easily see this on the Network app.
Password management and blocking access to some pages can be done over the App’s guest access page. You can customize each band and assign passwords to some groups on the same page.
- Works with Amazon Alexa. Minimum System Requirements: Internet Explorer 8, Safari 5 (for Mac), Firefox 8, Google Chrome. Tri-Band Wi-Fi offers a third, dedicated high-speed band to eliminate buffering and lag
- High-bandwidth applications like videoconferencing and movie streaming are ideal for the two high-speed 5 GHz bands, while lower-bandwidth devices like older wireless-N and -G computers can utilize the 2.4 GHz band
- 8 Gigabit ports for wired speeds 10x faster than standard Ethernet for your printers, consoles, and Smart TVs.Compatible with Mac and PC devices
- Enable Seamless Roaming by pairing Max-Stream Routers with Max-Stream Range Extenders. Your device will automatically switch to the strongest Wi-Fi signal as you move around your house
- Backed by 3-Year Warranty and Tech Support; Operating Systems: Windows 7, Windows 8.1. Wireless encryption:64/128-bit WEP, WPA2 personal, WPA2 enterprise
4. TP-Link AC5400 – Best Wireless Router for Gaming
The market continues to see new arrivals with latest technological advancements such as beam-forming, QoS, and MU-MIMO features.
TP-Link Archer is one of the top rated routers that bring nothing less than fast speeds, impressive design, and excellent performance.
It qualifies to be the next Archer C3200 successor considering the advanced features and speed it brings on-board. If you are a heavy gamer who like to take advantage of an advanced router like this, then you have to invest in high-end gaming equipment to get the most out including for TP-Link AC5400.
- Wifi Speed: Up to 5334 Mbps
- Technology: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (Tri-band)
- Processor Speeds: 1.4 GHz Dual-Core
- Others: NitroQAMTM (1024-QAM) and 4-Stream technology increase maximum Wi-Fi speeds, MU-MIMO, 8 External Antennas, Built-in Antivirus, Works with Alexa for voice control
TP-Link AC5400 comes with 1.4Ghz dual-core processor with a RAM of 512MB. With Tri-band wireless connectivity makes it possible for the network to provide the max 2167Mbps when in a 5Ghz band which is double and 1000Mbps when under the 2.4Ghz band.
What these two figures mean is that TP-Link AC5400 can hit total 5334 Mbps at its maximum bandwidth. TP-Link rounded off the figure and settled on 5400, and that’s why it’s called Archer C5400.
Some of its advanced and latest features are NitroQAM™ (1024-QAM), and 4-Stream which will give the performance boosts of up to 25%.
Along with advance MU-MIMO tech the NitroQAM™ ensure that your connection remains steady and fast even when streaming online or playing games.
Its MU-MIMO feature makes it easy for up-to 4 users to use the Wi-Fi efficiently while reducing the time each of the four devices has to wait.
- Quality of service acts as a bandwidth manager across various devices that are connected to the network.
- Built-in anti-virus to protect all devices on your network from the latest threats with powerful security
- The wireless schedule which allows you to set when it should transmit signals.
- Parental controls to set Internet access or restrict access to some websites.
- Guest-Network feature which allows you to set up 3 guest networks with every network for the three different bands. This also enables you to set a network that your visitors may use when they call on you.
Before opening the box to see your TP-Link Archer AC5400, you will see it pictured on the box plus some of its specs. Inside the packaging you will also find an adapter, cable (Ethernet), installation manual, warranty and relevant info about this network tools.
This router comes with 8 external antennas with each antenna attached to a slot. Also, you can find 4 Ethernet ports, USB 2.0 port, USB 3.0 port and the router’s Internet connection port on the back side.
The front side has some LEDs that show internet connection status. There are also buttons mainly for turning WPS or Wi-Fi on or off. One of the buttons is also for on and off turning off the LEDs.
- BATTLE-TESTED - Enjoy 4K video and play online games simultaneously with ultra-fast 802.11ac Wave 2 MU-MIMO WiFi
- LIGHTNING-FAST WIFI - AC5400 Tri-Band with 4-Stream and NitroQAM technology delivers up to 5400Mbps Wi-Fi speeds over one 2.4GHz (1000Mbps) and two 5GHz (2167Mbps) bands
- UNIQUE ANTI-VIRUS - TP-Link HomeCare protects every single device on your network from the latest threats with powerful security, antivirus, and parental controls.
- FASTER WIFI FOR EVERY DEVICE - Multi-user support from MU-MIMO technology allows high-speed connections without interruption with powerful 1.4GHz dual-core CPU and 3 co-processors
- VPN SERVER - Set up a personal VPN server with an OpenVPN client to browse the web and access files without paid VPN subscriptions
5. Linksys Max-Stream AC4000– Best Gaming Router Under $300
If you have only $300 maximum to spend for your gaming router, then Linksys Max-Stream AC4000 could be the best that will meet your budget but still able to serve all your needs no matter your gaming level.
It is one of the few high-end wireless routers by Linksys on its class. If you are looking for signal booster capabilities or if you prefer wired connectivity when enjoying your favorite online games then you should give this Max-Stream AC4000 a chance.
Whether you are looking for the best modem router for PS3 games or the best wireless router combo to make your gaming experiences enjoyable then Linksys Max-Stream AC4000 is the best option in-terms of features and performance.
- WiFi-Speed: Up to 4000 Mbps
- Technology: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (Tri-band)
- Processor Speeds: 1.8 GHz Quad-Core
- Others: Next-Gen AC Wi-Fi + MU-MIMO + Airtime fairness, 6 active high gain antennas, 5 Gigabit Ethernet ports, Seamless Roaming
Linksys Max-Stream AC4000 comes with a beefy appearance finished with six external antennas that firmly stand to make sure that you get to enjoy gaming. It is powered by 1.8Ghz quad-core CPU that strong enough to make sure that it able to deliver what it was made to do.
With this type of processor, every core gets to handle a specific task separately to prevent a user downloading heavy content or streaming online from slowing down gamers’ private network or the entire network.
Its maximum bandwidth is theoretically 4Gbps. With a powerful CPU supported by 3-peripheral types of processors, you are sure to meet your gaming needs while connect to this network device.
It also supports MU-MIMO which means that you will still be able to have high connections even when multiple devices are using the same connection.
Linksys has also included many impressive features in this Max-Stream AC4000, and one of them is quality of service or QoS known as ‘airtime fairness’. This unique feature is designed to make sure that there is fairness in bandwidth by scaling back band Wi-Fi from some users’ connection speeds to make sure that other devices also experience good speeds.
If you are a very active gamer and there are some users connected and downloading large content or streaming online, QoS will ensure that their session does not lead to the slow connection on your side.
There is also beam-forming to power the network to a larger range. No matter the size of your house this router can still connect to your device even if there are several obstacles like walls.
Different reviews reveal that this is a powerful router that comes loaded with features that not only increase internet speeds but also prevent packet loss.
In most cases, the farther the connecting device is from the range the slower your Internet speed will be. Linksys Max-Stream AC4000 comes with features and specs that are designed to improve its Wi-Fi range and make sure that even devices located far from the router can still experience fast Internet speed.
Usually, there are two types of antennas on the market. These are directional and omni-directional. The latter is designed to transmit signal in all directions in an even manner while the former transmits signals in one specified direction.
Depending on different factors the tolerance may be low or high. For instance, if you look at how satellite dishes work you will find that they can transmit signals over long distances with a tight tolerance such that the message can completely get lost the moment you adjust or move it a bit maybe an inch or two. This antenna type will therefore not be ideal for use at home.
Linksys has carefully taken care of this issue in their routers through beam-forming. The antennas are directional but are designed to adequately cover a range of 360-degrees.
Installed in the router are amplifiers which occasionally turn off or on depending on the place where a device is located. What this means is that Linksys routers are capable of directly transmitting Wi-Fi signal to your device.
Isn’t this a good thing for online gamers? That’s a big yes there without a doubt.This is the main reason why many Linksys routers have remained to be the first choice to beat in online gaming.
This powerful external Wi-Fi router by Linksys also allows you to configure or set a name for a guest network and set the services that your guest users can access over the network. You can also set the time your guests can use the guest network and also restrict some websites.
Max-Stream AC4000 router also gives you many parental control options from the time to use the network to access some websites to websites that cannot be located.
- Intelligent Tri-Band router with Net Gen. "1.8GHz Quad-Core" CPU and 3 offload processors to release your Wi-Fi performance and provide 3 Ultra-high-speed Wi-Fi bands up to 4 Gbps
- Next-Gen AC Wi-Fi + MU-MIMO + Airtime fairness improves network efficiency and provides ultra-fast Wi-Fi speeds to all your home and home office devices at the same time, same speed; "Smart Connect" intelligently selects the best radio band for your wireless device
- Advanced Beamforming with 9 high power amplifiers extend and maximize performance and coverage for both 2.4GHz & 5GHz. Minimum System Requirements:Latest versions of Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari (for Mac and iPad), Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer version 8 and newer
- 6 active high gain antennas expand Wi-Fi range throughout a large-size home; 5 Gigabit Ethernet ports for wired speeds 10x faster than standard Ethernet for printers, game consoles and Smart TVs
- Auto firmware updates always keep your router updated with latest features and security measures
6. NETGEAR Nighthawk Pro Gaming– Router for Online Game with Easy Setup
NetGear has continued dominating the world of long-range Wi-Fi routers that are ideal for online gaming. Their XR500 router maintains to take the market by storm thanks to its ability to deliver breakneck Wi-Fi speeds.
Gamers have always appreciated NetGear line because they are routers that are made with the ultimate player in mind. Even the first time you meet XR500, you will see the word ‘gaming’ on the packaging box to invite you to a whole new world of gaming.
It comes with advanced features that have been tweaked a little to make sure it remains future-proof.
NetGear has remained committed to delivering their promise of ensuring that gamers all over the world get the best performance when it comes to online game and nothing less.
Let’s look at what this NETGEAR Nighthawk Pro Gaming has to offer to beat the competition.
- WiFi-Speed: Up to 2500Mbps
- Technology: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (Dual band)
- Processor Speeds: 1.7 GHz Dual Core
- Others: Multi-User MIMO (MU-MIMO), Five (5) Gigabit Ethernet ports (4 LAN + 1 WAN), Four (4) external antennas, 15 more channels in 5GHz
This is a dual-band wireless router that supports 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi capabilities at 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz. At 5Ghz, it supports up to 1,7 Gbps and 0,8 Gbps at 2.4Ghz which as a result makes it AC2600.
The CPU has dual-core at 1.7Ghz making it best to handle requirements of a severe and heavy gamer. For PS4 enthusiasts looking for fantastic internet speed to make them enjoy gaming, this would be the best option to go for at this juncture.
Besides the MU-MIMO which is a must thing to have for a gaming router, it has a special operating system called OS Duma, which simplifies the QoS feature to help prioritize traffic for minimal lag or latency.
The fantastic story of Nighthawk Pro Gaming does not end there yet because all players need to know it comes with a brand new feature known as Dynamic Frequency Selection or DFS while on 5Ghz band. This is a feature that is very important when it comes to channel selection, increased bandwidth, and reduction of interference when streaming.
The design of this router looks almost similar to predecessor NightHawk NetGear routers. However, XR500 seems sharper, and it’s like the company worked on its lines to make it look a little bit different.
Its style, shape, and size are impressive and satisfying when you see it for the first time but for a gamer who has used other NightHawks the way and design will look almost the same. All in all, it’s an awesomely looking router.
At the back end of Nighthawk Pro Gaming, you will find one Internet connection port and 4 Gigabit Local Area Network ports. There is also a switch for on/off of LED lights, a power switch and button for re-setting. This router also has four antennas that are removable.
The front side has indicators in-form of LED that indicate connected devices and buttons that you use to turn Wi-Fi and WPS on or off. The shape of the body from the front side is excellently finished that you will proudly show off rather than keeping it away in the closet.
Its left side has 2 USB ports that you can connect your devices just in case you want to share content. Accessing these ports may be tricky since they are a bit hidden, but you can still reach them.
The Wi-Fi compatibility is 802.11AC which is the latest standard in Wi-Fi tech. One thing for sure about this stunning network device is its incredible speed. It’s the ultimate lag eliminator that will give you more than you would expect a gaming router to give.
Setup is easy especially when you want to setup your gaming network settings. In fact, the OS Duma will make you a lot of easier to prioritize traffic from your game, even from many popular games automatically running on specific devices on the network.
- QoS-Prioritize gaming devices and allocate bandwidth by device to eliminate lag due to queuing at the ISP network.
- Geo Filter-Fix your gaming lag by limiting distance. Get a guaranteed local connection. Create a blacklist or whitelist of your preferred servers.
- Gaming Dashboard-Personalize dashboard to view real-time bandwidth utilization by device, ping delays and more on a single screen.
- Gaming VPN-Connect to the VPN server with a VPN client to protect your network identity.
- Network Monitor-Check bandwidth utilization by device and application.
7. ASUS AC3100 – Recommended Dual Band Router for Playing Game
If you are looking for a dual-band router for this task, then ASUS AC3100 is the choice. Asus is a company that has established itself as a market leader in graphics cards and motherboards, but it is also important to note that they are a big company that has made a bold statement in creating some of the best wireless modem routers for the online gaming world.
Their routers have received a lot of appreciation and acceptance from PC gamers since they are fast therefore good for playing online games. Their Asus AC3100 is a dual-band Wi-Fi router that stands head and shoulder high in the market as one of the best in online game playing.
- WiFi-Speed: Up to 3100 Mbps
- Technology: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (Dual band)
- Processor Speeds: 1.4 Ghz Dual-Core
- Others: MU-MIMO + NitroQAM technology, 4 antenna design with AiRadar, Built-in access to WTFast Gamers Private Network (GPN™), AiProtection Powered by Trend Micro™, ASUS Smart Connect, AiMesh Supported, 8 Gigabit LAN ports 2 USB Ports.
This is a router that will give you the real value for your money when compared to other cheap routers. Due to the only dual band frequency supported, this is ideal for you who are not going to use a lot of devices simultaneously.
But if you are going to connect with multiple users on different devices, then it’s advisable to try one of the many tri-band routers that are available in the market, and one such example is AC5300.
It still also supports MU-MIMO thereby allowing users to enjoy fast Internet speeds even more than one device is connected.
In addition it supports Adaptive QoS (Quality of Service), which allows you to easily prioritize gaming packets and activities.
And the most things that really matter for gamers is link aggregation features through two of its LAN ports as long as your NAS is compatible with this feature.
The design seems unique and different from the standard. It diverges from the norm to take an angular-like shape and comes with red color which makes it outstanding.
It also comes with a pretty grill which you can take a glimpse over to see the internal parts. The size is wide enough at 8-inch down and 12-inches across.
This Asus AC3100 comes with dual band capabilities at 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz. It has a Broadcom chipset that has a feature known as NitroQAM which is an avenue that makes it possible to achieve higher bandwidth than the standard AC.
It is one of the easiest to set up and install routers by Asus. Despite the many features and controls, it comes with, TR-AC88U has a user-friendly interface that is easy to follow and remember.
Without saying much, TR-AC88U is a stunning ASUS AC3100 that will indeed serve you with exceptional internet speeds that cannot be matched by some similarly priced routers.
- 1024-QAM technology - 80% faster 5 GHz at up to 2100 Mbps, 66% faster 2.4 GHz at up to 1000 Mbps; Utilities : Firmware restoration
- 33% greater 2.4 GHz coverage with a 4-transmit, 4-receive (4T4R) antenna design, able to reach our widest-ever coverage up to 5000 square feet
- Expansive Connectivity Options: with exclusively has 8 x Gigabit LAN ports for up to eight Ethernet-compatible devices to connect simultaneously
- Powerful 1.4 GHz dual-core processor, Faster USB data transfers enjoy up to over 100 MB/s speed and the router download/upload speed (WAN-LAN throughput) up to 1.8 Gbps
- Smart Connect- Automatically chooses the best band available for you,Dimensions:11.8 x 7.4 x 3.3 ~ inch (WxDxH)
8. NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 – The Legendary Choice
If there is a router that was released 4 years ago but still hard to forget it, then it must be the Netgear Nighthawk X6. This is one of the best seller routers yet until today. You can check on Amazon and found there are more than 20,000 customers gives a high rating.
With six tri-bands antennas, it able to provide max 1.Gbps from the dual 5Ghz frequency bands and 600Mbps from the 2.4Ghz band with range coverage that is enough for a whole of large rooms in your house.
- WiFi Speed: Up to 3200 Mbps
- Technology: 802.11a/c (Tri-band)
- Processor Speeds: 1.0 Ghz Dual-Core
- Others: Dynamic QoS bandwidth prioritization, 6 High performance antennas, Beamforming+ improves wireless range, USB 3.0 port offers high-speed, Nighthawk App, Compatible with Amazon Echo®/Alexa™, Circle with Disney – Smart Parental Controls
Nighthawk X6 is capable of handling 3-different Wi-Fi bands two at 5Ghz and one at the 2.4Ghz band. One of these three bandwidth lanes can always be reserved if you are planning to use high speed of internet especially when gaming or streaming content online.
If you like it, you can configure it manually, and you can as well set it up to be an access point. You can name the three different bandwidths the way you want and even adjust settings of each of the three bands. You can make wired connections through the Ethernet ports.
If you look on depth into the specifications you will find a 1Ghz processor, 128Mb space, and 256MB RAM. The storage space is mainly used for storage of settings, passwords, and firmware. Its maximum throughput is 3.2Gbps.
The security of Nighthawk X6 AC3200 is always updated, and you do not have to worry about your network’s security at all. It employs latest protocols used in internet security to make sure that no unauthorized users access the network.
With a spaceship-like shape, Nighthawk X6 AC3200 is a black router that boasts of fast connection speeds. With this design and shape, it can be wall-mounted easily.
On the top side, you will find LED lights that indicate active ports and whether there is an Internet. The lights can be turned off or on using a button that is located at the back of the main body.
The software used in this router is Netgear’s Genie which is the main reason why it is straightforward to set up and install. All you need is modem broadband which you’ll need to access it’s set up a browser window. Once it detects your connection type, it will automatically do the rest for you. It comes with a pre-programmed passcode and name which makes it easy to set up.
To be safe, it is advisable to re-adjust and customize security settings for enhanced network security.
- 3.2Gbps - The fastest combined WiFi speed for uninterrupted streaming. WiFi Band-Simultaneous Tri-Band WiFi - Tx/Rx 3x3 (2.4GHz) + 3x3 (5GHz) + 3x3 (5GHz). WiFi Range-Very large homes
- Tri-Band WiFi delivers more WiFi to more devices, Six high performance antennas and powerful amplifiers deliver maximum range throughout your home
- 1GHz dual core processor with three offload processors to boost performance, Smart Connect intelligently selects best WiFi for every device. WiFi Technology: 802.11ac Tri-Band Gigabit
- Implicit & explicit beamforming+ delivers stronger connections for all your mobile devices, USB 3.0 port delivers high-speed storage access
- Includes Circle with Disney Smart Parental Controls to manage your family's internet use. Refer user manual for troubleshooting steps.
How to Choose The Best Router for Gaming
If you are a new PC or console gamer there are a few important factors that you must put into considerations when planning to buy a router.
Below are a few factors that you should consider if you are planning to buy a router necessarily to support your gaming activities.
Always Look latest Wi-Fi Standard
The demand for online games has been on the rise and it has become extremely difficult to continue relying on your old router which has been using old standards of Wi-Fi.
If you have been using older standards of Wi-Fi you’ll notice that your connection is not fast, web-pages that are loading very slowly and it is very challenging to stream videos online.
Before talking much let’s start by advising you to make sure that you invest in the 802.11ac type of router. This type of router has high speed internet throughout which is twice as first the regular one that offers 802.11n Wi-Fi. The most important benefit of using the latest technology that transmits Wi-Fi using the latest standards is because it can as well be compatible with older types of devices.
The standard Wi-Fi specification globally is 802.11 with the version of Wi-Fi shown by a, b, g, n, or ac. All these versions are compatible with one another but the difference comes when you want to connect to the old version of Wi-Fi which as a result will lead to lower speeds.
Apparently, the 802.11ac represents the 5th generation of the Wi-Fi technology and offers far much better network performance and capability that it’s all predecessors including 802.11a/b/g/n.
While the latest version of Wi-Fi is 802.11ad, though not all devices you find this day support that WiFi standard.
So as you buy a router, it is essential to find out its Wi-Fi version is at least 802.11ac. The better if you can get the latest 802.11ad that will not just serve you today but in future also.
Dual Bands or Tri-Bands
Bands can be defined as the road that data travels in different frequencies to enable wireless communication. 802.11g routers operated on a band of 2.4Ghz and 802.11n routers operated on 5Ghz. The shift from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz was as a result of overcrowding in the band which then ended up leading to traffic.
Single band devices are those devices that can only use 2.4 GHz band while devices that can handle both 2.4 and 5.0Ghz bands are called dual-band type of devices.
There are also tri-band routers that operate on three bands as we shall see later in our in-depth review of various top gaming routers.
The speed limit of dual-band devices is much higher than the speed in a single band. When looking for a best gaming router, you should look for at least dual-band wireless routers that can offer both 2.4 and 5.0Ghz bands at once. The best is if you can get Tri-band router.
It is always crucial to consider the environment where you use to playing gaming at. Environments that have many obstacles like walls normally decrease the range of Wi-Fi
Apart from obstacles like walls, there are also several other factors that may affect the signal strength of your Wi-Fi but let’s leave that to be a story for another day for now.
Once you have considered the architecture of your home, the next thing that is very important is the antenna dBi rating. You will generally find the scores of the antenna’s dBi in the specifications section of the router.
In most cases, a router with 2-4dBi ratings is ideal for use in apartments that are not small or large. If your house has several rooms that act as obstacles to Wi-Fi, then you will have to look type that has higher dBi ratings.
The CPU speed of your router may have a direct negative impact on your gaming experience or if you are a person who streams video content online.
The CPU speed, however, will not affect your connection if you are a light user of your connection. All in all, there are different schools of thought about the connection that exists between CPU speeds and how it may affect gaming and streaming video content.
Quality of Service (QoS)
QoS may go by varying names on different types of routers as some of the manufacturers sometimes give it a cool-sounding name that is ideal when it comes to marketing. Whatever the name it is given, you should know that quality of service in your router is significant in gaming.
It’s QoS that will determine the amount of bandwidth given to each device in your network or connection. Depending on the router you use, it may have dynamic QoS, adaptive QoS or intelligent QoS.
The way the manufacturer of your device names it does not matter what is essential is that it should have a QoS system that is not plain. When you use a router that has an advanced type of QoS, it will split the bandwidth automatically without you getting involved.
A router that comes with advanced QoS will provide outstanding results especially if you are dealing with large and massive network transfers or downloads at once. The best is to find one that has advanced QoS system to make gaming swift and fast.
While the one that has plain QoS will not care about the type of traffic in the network. It will therefore not realize anything whether your house-mate or roommate is Torrenting or downloading massive files that will slow down your connection.
This type of a router will consequently not prioritize your gaming, and it cannot split the network in your favor. This is why you need a router that comes with advanced QoS that will be able to notice that your gaming-depends on the bandwidth.
The moment additional devices connect to your Wi-Fi your connection will start being slow mainly because you are using a router that communicates with your devices in ‘one at a time’ manner.
These types of routers are known as single user-routers or SU-MIMO routers whereby each device will have to wait for its turn to get data or connect to the internet.
With the latest technology known as MU-MIMO, you no longer have to keep waiting for your device’s turn to connect to the internet, or you do not have to endure slow connections over the Wi-Fi.
MU-MIMO stands for Multi-User-Multiple Input-Multiple Output. MU-MIMO will allow several devices to get connected simultaneously. This technology will speed up your connection, therefore, make your gaming experience great.
Routers with MU-MIMO technology are ideal for use in households that have many devices connecting to the same Wi-Fi router.