Some of the people prefer to have above ground swimming pool because of some reasons. One of the reasons is to cut maintenance cost especially if it compared to cost of in-ground swimming pool. But yet, you still have to deal with the maintenance tasks including to vacuum and clean the pool by manual using pool poles.
A vacuum pool cleaner for above ground pool is considered cheaper than an in-ground pool cleaner as this compensates the extra efforts due to most of the above ground pool cleaners require assistant when cleaning.
Before you buy this type of pool cleaner, let’s check our reviews along with the buying guide to help you find the best above ground pool vacuum that will return a desirable result.
- Best Pool Cleaners for Above Ground Swimming Pool in 2020
- 1. Baracuda G3 W03000 – Best Suction Type Vacuum Pool Cleaner
- 2. XtremepowerUS Automatic Suction Vacuum – Needs No Electricity
- 3. Hayward 900 Wanda – Best for Above Ground Intex Pool
- 4. Zodiac Ranger Suction Side – Good Suction Vacuum but Not Suitable for Soft-Sided Pools
- 5. Pool Blaster Catfish Li Pool – Battery Powered Vacuum for Less than $100
- 6. Polaris Vac-Sweep 65 – Best Pressure Side Pool Cleaner
- 7. Aquabot Pool Rover S2 40i – Robotic Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
- Types of Above Ground Pool Vacuum Cleaner
- Things You Must Consider When Buying Best Above Ground Pool Vacuum
Best Pool Cleaners for Above Ground Swimming Pool in 2020
To help your figure out which above ground pool cleaner the best for you, we have listed out 7 recommended above ground pool cleaners that arguably match the standards as best vacuum for above ground pool in 2020
|Baracuda G3 W03000||Zodiac||Suction||$$$|
|XtremepowerUS Automatic Suction Vacuum||Xtreme Power US||Suction||$$$|
|Hayward 900 Wanda||Hayward||Suction||$$$|
|Zodiac Ranger Suction Side||Zodiac||Suction||$$$|
|Pool Blaster Catfish Li Pool||Water Tech||Suction||$$|
|Polaris Vac-Sweep 65||Polaris||Pressure||$$$|
|Aquabot Pool Rover S2 40||Aquabot||Robotic||$$$|
1. Baracuda G3 W03000 – Best Suction Type Vacuum Pool Cleaner
- Quiet, powerful suction cleaner; works with low-speed pumps for maximum efficiency.
- Devours small and medium-sized debris and cleans floor, walls and steps of your entire pool.
- FlowKeeper Valve automatically regulates water flow to maintain peak cleaning performance even with lower horsepower pumps.
- Wheel Deflector for movement around tight corners.
- Scuff-resistant Long-Life Hoses eliminate scuffs on all pool surfaces.
This is one of the most reliable above ground vacuum pool cleaners you can ever find in the market. It is designed to feature some of the best elements this type of unit can ever have such as minimum silence and wheel-deflector.
This powerful suction vacuum offers maximum efficiency given that it works with low-speed pumps. With no wheels, flappers or gears, it implies that it is easy to operate and attain peak performance.
It is designed with a reliable one moving part technology, which at the same time makes its maintenance costs to be all-time low.
This unit also gulps both small and medium debris, pebbles, sand, leaves, bugs and dirt among others. Thus making it ideal to efficiently clean all the major parts of your pool including floor, steps, and walls.
What we like about Baracuda G3 is the FlowKeeper valve which allows it to regulate water flow automatically. It also helps in maintaining the optimum performance even when you’re using a relatively low wattage horsepower pump.
The 36-Fin Disc is designed to enable this unit to increase its adhesion. So that it doesn’t hung-up on pool fittings, drain covers and lighting system.
It also has in-line cyclone action debris collector which about an 18-inch rubberized base and it vibrates itself along on psudo-random pattern.
2. XtremepowerUS Automatic Suction Vacuum – Needs No Electricity
- 10 hoses included for up to 30' pool. Ideal for cleaning bottom surface and wall; does not clean stairs
- Require at least a 1 hp swimming pool pump or 1600 GHP to function properly.
- No tools required and no electricity needed; Attaches to your existing filtration system
- 1 Year Warranty for Parts Replacement (For order purchased from Amazon.com Prime and Ihubdeal ONLY )
- Cleaner should be moving about the pool at a rate of 8 to 12 feet per minute. Note : Refer to PDF attached below in Technical Specification for User manual
If you prefer to have a green product at your home, then XtremepowerUS can be your best choice when looking above ground swimming pool vacuum. This unit does not require electricity nor any tool to function. It comes with ten hoses that can handle up to about 30′ pool.
This machine features a silicone ripple cleaner that enhances easy cleaning of surfaces including tile, vinyl, concrete and fiberglass.
It comes with a bumper strap and seal clip that allow the machine to move freely during cleaning and for appropriate directional adjustments respectively.
The other good thing is that you can attach this vacuum to your already existing filtration system so that it becomes more efficient and easy to clean the pool.
To obtain the best out of this machine, you need about ¾ hp pool pump. The manufacturer nonetheless recommends that you can as well adjust the regulator valve and the weights to get desirable pool cleaning results.
It is relatively affordable but performs a lovely swimming poll cleaning task hence an ideal choice if you’re looking for one.
3. Hayward 900 Wanda – Best for Above Ground Intex Pool
- Unique turbine/gearing system provides constant balanced water flow assuring quiet operation and gentle movement across the pool bottom
- Advanced, contoured head design allows the steering pattern to be completed in minimal time
- Installs in less than 10 minutes, without tools
- Deluxe bumper ring minimizes friction for easy movement away from walls and resumption of the programmed steering pattern
- 1 year warranty
This automatic pool vacuum is designed to clean the surface of shapes and sizes of above-ground pools. It comes with 5-pack of pool skimmer filters which will save your time and energy.
It operates off the existing pool’s filtration system, and it’s integrated with patented Hayward SmartDrive technology that steers it. Moreover, for that reason, it cannot miss cleaning any particular spot.
The unit also features a unique turbine system that provides consistent, balanced water flow, therefore it guarantees quiet operation as well as gentle maneuvering across the pool’s bottom.
Additionally, this machine also enhances circulation of water by pulling it from the pool any time it’s moving.
Also, it features a deluxe bumper ring that reduces friction for smooth movement away from the walls as well as the continuation of programmed steering pattern.
4. Zodiac Ranger Suction Side – Good Suction Vacuum but Not Suitable for Soft-Sided Pools
- Effectively cleans above-ground swimming pools (not recommended for Intex/soft-sided pools), including dished-out bottoms up to 72 inches.
- One moving part technology, eliminates annoying hammer or flapper noise; works quickly, effectively, and quietly.
- Unique Deflector Wheel helps prevent it from getting caught on steps, ladders and corners!
- Comes pre-assembled for easy installation and includes 32 feet of feed hose.
- AG Disc allows the Ranger to glide effortlessly along the bottom of your pool, up the sides and around steps, cleaning your whole pool.
This unit also manufactured by Baracuda, features a unique deflector wheel, which is essential in preventing it from sticking on stairs, corners or ladders when cleaning.
It also a one moving part technology, which makes it amazingly silent during operation and enhances its cleaning efficiency.
This product also comes with a patented FlowKeeper valve like on Baracuda G3 W03000 and Insta-Skim Compact for easy adjustment and regulation of water flow that leads to peak performance.
This unit is and come with additional features that makes it suitable option if you’re looking for a suction pool vacuum.
It offers efficient cleaning to your pool given that it is fixed with an AG disc which enables it to glide effortlessly on all surfaces of your pool.
It is straightforward to use and comes with pre-assembled parts, which apparently easy to install.
5. Pool Blaster Catfish Li Pool – Battery Powered Vacuum for Less than $100
- CORDLESS: Rechargeable Lithium Ion Battery. Perfect for quick and easy cleaning in the Hot Tub or Spa and in the swimming pool. No hoses or cords needed. Ideal for Small In-Ground, Soft-Sided and Above Ground Pools like Intex.
- VERSATILE CLEANING: Includes a removeable 7.5” vacuum head with for general cleaning or simple remove to expose nose cone head for hard to get areas. Captures a variety of debris; acorns, twigs, leaves dirt and sand.
- RUN TIME: The lithium ion battery powered Catfish is designed to run up to 45 minutes.
- EASY OPERATION: Push-Button operation. Lightweight and easy to use by hand or attach to any standard telescopic pool pole. Easily cleans; Easy Set, Metal Frame, PVC Frame pools. (pole not included)
- WHATS INCLUDED: 7.5" Vacuum Head w/Soft-Bristle Brush, Wall Charger, (1) All-Purpose Filter Bag, (2) Disposable Micro-Filter Bags
This is an automatic pool cleaner which offers both versatility and power. It cleans all sorts of pools and has a steady flow pump and a multi-purpose reusable filter bag.
It also features micro-filter bags which ideally target the fine debris which can be present in your pool.
This machine is lightweight, user-friendly and one of the best that you can obtain with a budget of less than $100.
The Pool Blaster Catfish Li Pool cleaner has a 7.4-inch vacuum head which covers relatively large areas of the pool.
You can as well remove the head hence making this unit a powerful one to maneuver into the corners and crevices smoothly.
It comes with a rechargeable battery hence allowing cordless and hoseless operation for up to 45 minutes continuously.
6. Polaris Vac-Sweep 65 – Best Pressure Side Pool Cleaner
- Suitable for all aboveground pools up to 5-feet deep.
- Installs easily in minutes.
- Powered by the pressure of clean water returning to your pool, leaving both the filter and skimmer free to eliminate contaminants.
- Operates with pumps and filtration systems normally found on aboveground pools and vacuums the bottom and sweeps the sides in three hours or less.
- Patented jet sweep assembly blows water against the pool wall to loosen debris in hard-to-reach places and then sweeps it into an easy-to-remove filter bag.
This machine should be among the top on your list when thinking of buying an automatic pool cleaner.
It installs relatively fast and ideal for all above ground pools which are up to about 5-feet deep.
This unit uses pumps and filtration systems which are found on above-ground pools. It also vacuums the bottom surface of the pool and can clean the sides in less than three hours.
The Polaris Vac-Sweep 65 features a unique filter bag which removes the debris before even reaching the pump hence enhancing its durability.
This machine is also powered by the pressure of clean water that gets back to your pool. Moreover, for that matter, it lets the filter and the skimmer free to get rid of any contaminants.
What’s more is that it comes with a patented jet sweep assembly that blows water against the pool wall as a way of loosening debris in hard-to-reach spots.
7. Aquabot Pool Rover S2 40i – Robotic Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
- Perfect for in ground and above ground pools of any shape or configuration up to 30 ft. long
- Has the power to navigate in ground hoppers and above ground dished out bottoms and cove with ease
- Will clean in 1 hour, filtering up to 5,000 gallons
- Features NeverStuck rollers that enable it to overcome raised main drains and imperfect pool bottoms
- Includes 3 filter bags, 110V power supply, and 40 ft. thermoplastic rubber coated Kevlar cord
It is among the most efficient robotic pool cleaners currently in the market, which works in both in-ground and above the ground pools.
This unit features a sleek design which allows it to maneuver through the pool as well as grabbing all the small dirt particles. Of course, this is as a result of its adjustable suction ports so it can remove all the dirt even in the hard-to-reach spots.
Such a powerful machine it is that it comes with two large-capacity filter bags which capture particles down to about 50 microns.
Again, this equipment offers convenience with its 40-inch cable that guarantees power supply with one or two hour options.
Moreover, what’s more, is that it has a stylish power supply that enhances its usability and efficiency.
Types of Above Ground Pool Vacuum Cleaner
Maintaining pool hygiene is quintessential; we can’t argue about it. It allows you to prevent unnecessary infections and also make the swimming pool an ideal setting for playing and relaxing.
But one of the most frustrating things as far as upholding sanitation of your pool is concerned is the type of tool you use.
For aboveground pools, it’s quite evident that pool vacuums are preferable. But do you know the particular type that suits your needs?
Let’s find out here;
1. Suction Pool Vacuums
These cleaners are also known as suction-side pool vacuums. They are automatic pool cleaners designed to clean the pool by utilizing the pool pump suction power in conjunction with the filtration pump.
The suction pool vacuums require electricity to operate and also need the pool pump to be running as it cleans the debris.
Using these types of vacuums to clean your pool floors implies that you’ll also need to clean the filter regularly and at the same time use more diatomaceous earth.
The best part of using suction pool vacuums is that they are apparently the most affordable pool cleaners that are automatically operated.
2. Pressure Pool Vacuums
They are also referred to as pressure-side pool cleaners. These are relatively advanced than the suction pool vacuums.
In the sense that rather than using the power from pool’s pump suction, it utilizes pressure generated by water flow from the outlet which returns water filtered water to the swimming pool.
The essence of this mechanism is that it enhances the speed of cleaning given that they are independent of using pool filtration system to clean the debris.
Surprisingly, this type of above ground vacuums has a collection bag for debris hence making it easy for the entire cleaning process to be fast, convenient and with less maintenance.
It is thus suitable if you have a comparatively large swimming pool because it makes the overall cleaning tasks easy and faster.
3. Robotic Pool Cleaners
These are arguably the most common types of pool vacuums in many homes. They are operated automatically and uses robotic power obtained from the pool circulation mechanism.
They are made of an internal collection bag that helps in efficient cleaning of the pool. This allows them to grab even the tiniest unwanted particle when cleaning your pool.
Additionally, they also have a small internal pump that they use to reduce running cost and time when using the device.
These types of vacuums are considered as the most efficient of all of them in regards to power consumption.
You will also find out that some robotic pool vacuum models are fixed with additional exciting features such as remote control and even four-wheel drives.
If you have an above ground pool that does not have a skimmer basket, this could be the best unit for automatically cleaning it with.
The fact that it is automatic also shows that it is easy to use and hence provides sufficient cleaning of the pool surfaces.
Things You Must Consider When Buying Best Above Ground Pool Vacuum
When you get to the market, be it online or offline, you’ll realize that pool vacuums are quite a number. Of course, this should be a blessing, but in some instances, it can be a curse in disguise.
What happens is that when you have so many options to choose from, it at times becomes difficult to make the ideal pick.
But in that case, I want to make it simple for you so that the next time you find yourself at such a crossroads, it becomes to maneuver.
This is apparently the most significant factor that you have to consider when purchasing this item. Features are what generally guide or determine the ultimate purchase decision.
You need to look out at what you need in particular that you are sure will be able to make your pool cleaning easy.
Some of the features worth checking out when buying this machine include the following;
- Weight: The device should be of a reasonable weight. Remember you need something portable that you can move with from one end of the pool to the other end.
You thus need to ensure that whatever choice you make, it needs to be relatively light.
- Power holding capacity: this primarily refers to the duration that the battery can be able to hold power on a single charge. It is necessary since it will make it easy for you to organize yourself whenever you plan to start cleaning your pool and avoiding unnecessary inconveniences.
The other important aspect on the same is determining how long the battery takes to charge fully. This will make it easy for you to get yourself ready way before time.
- Bag/Bag-less: when it gets to consideration of this particular feature you need to understand that it all narrows down to your preference.
If you are okay with purchasing replacement bags every moment you want to clean your pools, then the best unit for you would be one without a bag.Otherwise, if you find it difficult to keep on changing the bags all the time you may consider choosing one with the bag.
- Cord/cordless: This is also another vital feature that you need to consider whenever you’re purchasing a pool vacuum cleaner.
If you decide to go with a corded unit, ensure that it is long enough. It should allow you to move around and get to end of the pool without unplugging from the power source. But if you go with a cordless one, also ensure that the battery is reliable and can hold power for a considerable duration on a single charge.
2. Filtration System
The filtration mechanism that your ideal swimming pool vacuum cleaner is engineered with is a vital aspect.
It is the ultimate element that determines how easy the machine will be able to clean the surface of the pool.
Furthermore, it also defines how convenient the entire cleaning process from the start to the end. Such that you do not end up doing and redoing the task every time.
An ideal filtration system should be able to power the machine and making it efficient when it gets to cleaning the debris on the pool floor.
3. Additional accessories
What you need to realize before or when buying swimming pool vacuum cleaner is that you can’t necessarily use them without other add-ons.
Such extra devices are suitable because they enhance the performance of the particular units as far as cleaning the pool floor is concerned.
Some models come together with such accessories while others would require you to purchase them separately.
The latter, however, might seem costly and can also be a little bit inconvenient at the time of need.
Lastly, you also need to check on the guarantee of the unit you’re purchasing. Most of the automatic pool vacuums can develop mechanical hitches.
At times the hitch could be so serious that would render it useless. In such cases, warranty cover would save your day, only if it is valid.
So you need to ensure that you verify the viability of the warranty and also read the terms and conditions to understand every bit of the cover.
It helps you greatly to have a peace of mind whenever you’re using the unit especially the one you’ve spent a considerable amount of money to acquire.